Muncie Indiana Transit System (MITS) understands that because MITSPlus requires trips to be scheduled in advance, riders may sometimes miss scheduled rides or forget to cancel rides they no longer need. MITS also understands that riders may sometimes miss scheduled trips or be unable to cancel trips 1 hour prior for reasons that are beyond their control. However, repeatedly missing scheduled trips (or failing to cancel trips at least 1 hour prior) costs MITS time and money that could be used to serve customers who could use MITSPlus same day services. Therefore, MITS has developed this no-show policy that if not followed could result in customers having their ridership privileges suspended.
Pickup window: The pickup window is defined as 30 minutes before the scheduled pickup time. Riders must be ready to board a vehicle that arrives within the pickup window. The driver will wait a maximum of 5 minutes within the pickup window for the rider to appear.
Late cancellation: A late cancellation is defined as either:
- A cancellation made less than 1 hour before a scheduled pickup time or as a cancellation made at the door.
- A refusal to board a vehicle that has arrived within the pickup window.
No-shows due to operator error: MITS does not count no-shows or late cancellations due to our error, such as:
- Trips placed on the schedule in error
- Pickups scheduled at the wrong pickup location
- Drivers arriving and departing before the pickup window begins
- Drivers arriving late(after the end of the pickup window)
- Drivers arriving within the pickup window, but departing without waiting the required 5 minutes
Circumstances beyond a rider’s control: No-shows or late cancellation when situations beyond a rider’s control prevent the rider from notifying us that the trip cannot be taken, such as:
- Medical emergency
- Family emergency
- Sudden illness or change in condition
- An appointment that runs unexpectedly late without sufficient notice
Riders must contact MITSPlus dispatch when experiencing a no-show or late cancellations due to circumstances beyond their control at (765) 284-4753, Monday through Friday from 8am to 6pm to explain the circumstances and request the removal of the no-show or late cancellation.
Handling Subsequent Trips Following No-Shows
When a rider is a no-show for one trip, all subsequent trips for that day will remain on the schedule unless the rider specifically cancels the trips. To avoid multiple no-shows on the same day, riders are strongly encouraged to cancel any subsequent trips they no longer need that day.
Violation policy for a pattern or practice of excessive no-shows and late cancellations
MITS reviews all recorded no-shows and late cancellations to ensure accuracy before recording them in a rider’s account. Each no-show or late cancellation consistent with the above definitions will result in a violation only after all of the following conditions in a calendar month have been reached.
- The rider has scheduled at least 18 trips.
- The rider has “no-showed” or “late canceled” at least 3 trips.
- The riders “no-shows” or late cancels equal at least 18% of schedules trips.
All violation notices include a copy of this policy, information on disputing no-shows, and how to appeal violations. In addition, as a courtesy, staff will call the rider to alert them of the violation.
Violations will result in the following actions:
- First violation: warning letter
- Second violation: 2 day suspension
- Third violation: 5 day suspension
- Fourth violation: 10 day suspension
- Fifth and subsequent violation: 30 day suspension
Suspensions begin on Mondays , 15 days after the notice, to give individuals time to appeal the suspension.
Appealing proposed suspensions
Riders wishing to appeal suspensions under this policy have the right to file an appeal request, the request must be in writing either by letter or via email. Riders must submit written appeal requests within 60 business days of receiving the suspension letter; appeals should be addressed to the Director of Transportation at 1300 E Seymour. Muncie, IN 47302 or email@example.com. Riders who miss the appeal request deadline will be suspended from MITSPlus on the date listed on the suspension notice. All suspension appeals follow the MITS appeal policy.